Living expenses in Hamburg depend considerably on your personal lifestyle. We recommend students to budget at least 940 Euros / month. Please note that the semester contribution to Universität Hamburg (currently 340 €) has to be paid twice per year.
Once you have been accepted to a M.Sc. program, you will need to submit, in addition to your application for enrollment, proof of health insurance coverage. In case you have to become a member of a German state insurance provider, this will be an additional cost of ca. 120 € per month.
Scholarships at Universität Hamburg
- International students and first-degree graduates with good to excellent academic achievements can apply for the Merit scholarships for international students at Universität Hamburg.
- Students with a low monthly income can also apply for Degree Completion Grants for International Students and receive funding for up to four months.
- Students enrolled at Universität Hamburg can also apply for the Hamburglobal scholarship program, which is available for students wishing to go abroad (for internships, summer schools and conferences, language courses, study abroad or thesis preparation).
- Companies, associations, foundations, and private patrons can now support talented students at Universität Hamburg with the Germany Scholarship.
- Scholarship opportunities provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).