Facts and Figures
The SICSS Doctoral Program hosts permanently approx. 70 active candidates. Since 2008, more than 230 candidates enrolled in SICSS and more than 150 candidates successfully finished their PhD project.
Besides the doctoral program, SICSS hosts also a Postdoc program and a gender equality / diversity program. All three programs are coordinated and controlled in the Early Career Committee ECC. Currently, the ECC has the following members:
- Prof. Dr. Annette Eschenbach, head of SICSS
- Prof. Dr. Johanna Baehr, lecturer / advisor, CEN / CLICCS
- Prof. Dr. Simone Rödder, lecturer / advisor, CEN / CLICCS
- Prof. Dr. Felix Ament, lecturer / advisor, CEN / CLICCS
- Prof. Dr. Matthias Hort, lecturer / advisor, CEN
- Dr. Alexandra Franzke, executive head SICSS
- Dr. Berit Hachfeld, coordination SICSS, doctoral program
- Dr. Sebastian Zubrzycki, coordination gender equality and diversity
- Dr. Antje Weitz, coordination IMPRS, MPI-M Hamburg
- Dr. Ulf Beckmann, coordination WiSo GradSchool, Universität Hamburg
- Dr. Jan Petzold, postdoc, CEN / CLICCS
- Lara Sophie Kaiser, doctoral candidate, SICSS
The ECC meets twice a year.
SICSS is interdisciplinary: doctoral candidates pursue their projects in more than 15 disciplines. Among these are the key disciplines of Earth and Climate system sciences such as Meteorology, Oceanography, Geology and Biology but also social sciences, economics or disciplines affiliated in Humanities. Outstanding in SICSS is the co-supervision framework, that links candidates, supervisors and co-supervisors from 3 faculties and more than 10 disciplines.
SICSS is very international: more than 25 nationalities joined SICSS since 2008.