Career Development Program
Career Development Program of the CEN School SICSS for the Advancement of CLICCS Postdocs and Senior Researchers in their Career Development
To support the optimal qualification of postdocs on their individual career paths, they are encouraged to participate in a career development program. The aim is to provide targeted support for postdocs to reflect on their career goals and expectations, whether they focus on qualification in academia or pursue alternative career paths outside of research.
The program includes the following measures:
1. Career Development Review Talks: Through career development review talks with supervisors, postdocs will receive an annual comparative assessment of their research and qualification achievements, as well as discuss their developmental potential. These discussions will also address the next career steps and the associated actions. A career review talk guide, including an Individual Development Plan (IDP), will be provided.
2. Mentoring: Postdocs have the opportunity and necessary support to choose a mentor who can provide an independent perspective and offer competent individual feedback on their current activities and future career prospects. These mentors should be located outside of the Universität Hamburg and serve as external advisors. IDPs can also be utilized in this mentoring process.
3. Career Coaching: Postdocs have the opportunity to work with career coaches to further develop their profiles, receive guidance on challenging topics, and explore their career options. Coaching can focus on academic career paths or other career goals. An IDP can serve as a foundation for these coaching sessions.
4. Qualification and Networking: Networking activities among postdocs will continue to foster peer-level exchanges. Peer tandems will be initiated to strengthen collegial interaction, providing peers with the opportunity to give feedback and offer advice. The entire range of qualification measures and workshops offered by the Hamburg Research Academy and the staff development department are available. Specific additional measures will be offered based on individually reported needs. We kindly ask postdocs to contact SICSS and communicate their desired measures.
5. Career-Supportive Spaces: Postdocs will be provided with career-supportive opportunities, such as expanding collaborations and networks, gaining international experience, conducting teaching activities, pursuing independent research ideas and projects, or writing their own third-party funding applications to advance their career steps.
Postdocs will be informed, supported, and encouraged to participate in all the listed measures and opportunities by the CEN School SICSS and their supervisors as well as project chairs.